Sunday 26 May 2013

A Petite Problem


   Hey everyone, obviously I'm extremely new to this blogging thing but for my first one I wanted to make it quite personal and talk about something that has been bugging me for a while - the lack of petite models.

   Now I have heard and read every reason for why taller models are used in the fashion industry, and I completely understand it, but standing short at 5 foot 3 and a half (the half matters to me!), buying clothes online has always felt like a risk each time I hit 'Pay Now'. I never know how they will actually fit me, and with fashion websites still using taller models to advertise petite clothing, or even clothing in smaller sizes like a 4 or 6, often you can overlook  the fact that the item of clothing will look completely different on you than on the 5'9 girl pictured. This can often lead to disappointment.

   I know this topic has been debated constantly, but as a girl who enjoys modelling, knowing that due to my height I will most likely never be able to take it anywhere, I do feel a certain need to state my thoughts. With the huge amount of advertising done by celebrities, such as actresses and singers, many of whom may be on the shorter side - take Eva Longoria for example, renowned world wide as beautiful and no doubt will have modelled countless times - I still don't understand why the idea of a model of the same size, doing the same thing, is such a difficult one to understand. I'm not even thinking about the biggest designers, but simply clothing companies that provide fashion collections for everyday women to purchase and wear, and use hundreds of models in their campaigns. I was not aware that the spectrum of everyday women excluded ladies under 5'8.
  
  Don't think I'm disregarding the effect of a lack of petite models on men either, most of the guys I encounter at University, for example, I wouldn't describe as necessarily tall and I know my boyfriend often worries about buying trousers online as the male models are obviously taller than him and is never sure about how they will fit. 

 I guess what I'm trying to say is that any form of discrimination is wrong. The introduction of 'Curve' collections that showed clothing on women who were a different size to the 'typical' model was brilliant, it gave women a better idea of how that dress, that top, or those jeans were going to look on THEIR body type by showing them how good it looks on someone who looks similar to them. Being small is a different body type too, and I no longer want to be deterred from my dream dress because I look down and see 'Model is wearing a size 6', think 'great!' and then see 'and is 5ft 10' and sigh. Some may argue that just the fact that clothing lines have a petite range is progress, which it is, but not advertising the clothes on petite models seems slightly backwards. 

Well that has been my first post, I just want to reiterate that I'm not here to write paragraphs with impeccable grammar or amazing wit - I just want to discuss the topics that I ponder regularly and see what other people think =].
If anyone has any opinions about the subject that I've discussed feel free to email me at anitacityblog@gmail.com or comment below! 

Anita Juliet Mary
x

   

No comments:

Post a Comment